- Do a skin analysis. For those who have neglected proper skincare, or have strayed from their routine, a self-skincare analysis will help to determine what facial skin needs.
- Create a plan. Determine specific steps for targeted treatment. Write down the current state of skin and the factors affecting it, and then identify the desired outcome.
- Revitalize skin with hydration. For skin that has undergone excessive drying, either from natural environmental conditions or from lack of moisture, revitalize skin both internally and externally with intense hydration. Drink six to eight glasses of water a day to help skin maintain a supple appearance, and moisturize with daily sunscreen and lotion. For a quick vitamin boost, a thicker, heavier lotion like v-nutrient crème can help to revive skin.
- Boost tired skin with a quick at-home facial mask. Combine common household ingredients yogurt, maple syrup and grapefruit to create a low-cost fix for a big night out, or an easy pick-me-up. Yogurt (with live cultures) contains alpha hydroxyl acids that help smooth skin and prevent fine lines, maple syrup acts as a natural moisturizer and grapefruit refreshes and energizes skin.
- Wash and let breathe. Do a thorough face washing with warm water and go a day or a weekend without makeup to let pores breath. Though basic in nature, these actions will reward with your skin.
'Dry Sponge' Skin Type. Do you have it?
When I see clients with dry skin, I call it "dry sponge" skin type. A term I came up with that relates to thirsty looking skin. I know it sounds harsh but the term does help my clients to understand what their skin need.
How does thirsty skin look like?
Skin feels tight after cleansing, skin looks dull, fine lines are more visible, you can feel dry patches and start seeing minor redness in some areas, skin looks older and lack of glow.
Imagine if you soak this dry sponge in water. Slowly it will expand to its normal size, flaws and dimples are plumped out and minimized. Compare this to your skin.
What does your thirsty skin need? Here are the basics:
1) Drink more liquid to nourish your entire body
2) Eat more greens or simply add green shake/juice at am. This will give you the glow from inside out.
3) Take supplements like Omega, Hyaluronic acid, Collagen capsules and Vitamin C
4) Exfoliate your skin to get rid of top layers. Face and body
5) Find the right serums and cremes for your skin type to nourish from top down
6) Energize and increase circulation with a walk, yoga, exercise or do my Skin Fitness Face Workout
7) Get professional facials frequently
The links provided are my picks and I do them myself.
If you don't want to have a "dry sponge" skin type then I suggest you start taking better care of your skin today. Its your skin and you know when it doesn't look well. Let these basics be part of your daily lifestyle.
If you think you are ready to go further than the basics, get on my 28day challenge.
Look healthier, younger and feel rejuvenated inside and out.